About Calm and Connected
- A life filled with joy and freedom
- Learning and personal development
- Innovation and best practice
- Empowering children and their families
- Provide practical strategies for families, so children can participate to the fullest potential
- Teach how the body, emotions and mind works to empower parents to learn self-management
- Develop foundational skills needed to play, make friends, look after themselves and learn
- For children to feel comfortable and confident in their own bodies
- Occupational Therapy: we can support children at home, school or in the community to allow them to participate in day to day activities. Whether its building friendships, looking after themselves, completing school work or being apart of a sport team.
- Clinical Psychology: We can support children to develop strategies for managing their thoughts and emotions. We can work with parents, teachers or with the child to develop a plan to manage behaviours so children can function at home or school. The initial appointment is with the caregivers only to allow the chance to talk about all the issues occurring without the child listening.
- Therapy Assistants: sessions with one of our therapy assistants can be a great way to compliment the strategies learnt in a therapy session. These sessions can occur in the clinic, at home or in the community to provide additional learning opportunities for your child.
- Functional Assessments: Many children are requiring Functional Assessments in order to access therapy funding through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). If this is a requirement for your plan, please contact us to book in a time with one of our team members. We are able to complete functional assessments for children/young adults aged 7-19 years.
- Sense Rugby: this is an occupational therapist based rugby program for kids that want to feel apart of a team and receive therapy in a fun environment. Children join a team with a rugby coach, therapist and helpers to learn rugby skills and meet therapeutic goals.
- Creative Minds Group; Creative minds group is a safe space to connect with like-minded peers to explore social and emotional skills through art and creativity. There are two age group programs, 9-13 olds, and 14-18 year olds.
Therapy Intensive Camps
- Camp Confidence: this camp is for 8-11 years and allows children a fun and supportive environment to enjoy the camp experience whilst meeting their therapeutic goals. It is held in the September/October school holidays.
- Girls Camps: our ‘girls only’ therapy intensives are available for 11-13 year olds. We get to talk and do girls stuff, with the focus on building friendships and emotional resilience.
- Young Ladies Getaway: Our ‘young ladies only’ therapy intensive for girls aged 14-17 years is filled with activities and conversations to help girls build friendships and navigate social emotional challenges.
- Boys Camp: our camping adventures for boys 11-13 years are a great opportunity to develop social, motor and emotional skills whilst having fun in a supportive environment.
- Adventure Camps: We hold two Adventure Camps a year for 12 to 17 year olds (male and female). These overnight trips are a fun and active way to build friendship and life skills and an exciting and supportive environment.
- Online workshop series: We have put together online workshop series that cover the top topics that we most frequently provide information on to our families. These series are designed for the super busy parent! Each day you get an email with a video that is 2-3 minutes long. The topics are broken down into these small chunks to help you digest the information.
Our therapists are often on the road, so email is often the best mode of contact, or please leave a voicemail/ send a text so your therapist knows to be back in touch with you. It is recommended that you talk to your therapist about how often you would like to be in touch and what is the best way of doing this, especially how you would like feedback following school visits. During the initial assessment, therapists may discuss frequency of sessions recommended. At this point further session dates and times may be arranged. However, some families do not requiring frequent ongoing support and may opt to request sessions when required.
Unless otherwise discussed with the family, Calm and Connected agree to:
- Communicate openly and honestly in a timely manner
- Provide reports within 2 weeks of request
- Provide an email or phone call update within 2 business days following a school or community visit
- Reply to emails and voice messages as soon as practicable and/ or within 3 business days. If no reply is given in that time, please forward the email to email@example.com
- If no follow up session times are made during an appointment, 1-2 weeks following this time, the therapist will contact the Client/ Caregiver via email to check in and determine the need for future sessions
- If the Client/ Caregiver feel they are managing at the time of check in, the therapist will then contact via email again in 2 months’ time to check in, unless otherwise requested by the family.
Caregivers and Clients agree to:
- Provide a copy of the Client’s NDIS Plan to the Provider
- Inform the Provider about how with the supports to be delivered to meet the Client’s needs
- Complete documentation and requirements for services that the client wishes to engage in. This is to ensure that we have all the relevant information needed to support the client and create a safe environment for services to be conducted.
- Provide a safe environment for therapists to conduct home and community visits this includes:
- No smoking during appointments
- Ensuring pets are kept out of the area that therapy is being conducted
- Disclose any violence in the household and/or restraining orders
- Talk to the Provider if the Client/ Caregiver has any concerns about the supports being provided
- Give the Provider a minimum of 48 hours’ notice if the Client cannot make a scheduled session (please see cancellation policy details)
- Contact their therapist to update them or ask any questions if there are any questions, queries, concerns, changes, developments etc.
- Disclose any medical conditions that their child may have and complete a medical action plan form, or provide one that they currently have.
- Following the 2 month check in with no continuation of frequent sessions, it is up to the family to contact the therapist again if they wish to make appointments or if they have any queries they would like to discuss.
NDIS funded families are required to complete a Service Agreement with Calm and Connected. This is a compulsory requirement under NDIS and is a great way to outline any sessions, camps, groups and administration that will be included as part of the service delivery. This allows families and therapists to have a clear understanding of what will be provided with the amount of funding allocated.
If you wish to change what is in the Service Agreement then we can update the allocation to meet what your child currently needs. For example, your child may now be ready to join groups, so the Service Agreement may be changed to add in the group programs.
Service Bookings: for Agency Managed clients we make a service booking in the NDIS portal for the amount that is written in the service agreement. This is like reserving a section of your funding pie. Claims are then made against this service booking after the service has been provided.
Client information is securely stored in our Client Management System Echidna and Information Storage System. Clients/ Caregivers are able to request access to sign into the Family Portal via Echidna. This gives access to documents, appointments and invoices as set up in agreement with the therapy team.
Client/ Caregivers will be specifically asked for permission to record visual or auditory information, and will discuss what this will be used for and how it is stored as the need arises.
Consent and Sharing of Information
The Client/ Caregiver gives consent for Calm and Connected to share information with the benefit of the Client with those listed in the Pre Therapy form, and Service Agreement. Consent can be changed or withdrawn at any time by contacting your therapist or a member of our team.
- Cancellation Policy for Therapy and Group Sessions: If you are not able to attend your scheduled appointment, please contact us as soon as you know you are unable to attend. If you give less than 48 hours (2 business days) notice before the appointment then you will be charged an administration fee of 100% to cover the payment for the time your Therapist allocated to your session, including travel time allocated. If more than 48 hours (2 business days) notice is given then no charges are made.
- Cancellation Policy for Therapy Intensive Camps: Under NDIS Guidelines cancellations with greater than 10 business days; notice will be refunded, minus an administration fee of $200. If less than 10 business days’ notice is given to cancel a place on camp, we will charge 100% of the fill fee. In the instance Calm and Connected have to cancel the camp, a refund will be issued within 10 days of the cancellation notice.
We frequently loan items to families to trial with their child. This ensures that the piece of equipment recommended is the right fit for your child before you decide to purchase the item. It also may be that your child only needs the item for a short period, and so we are happy to loan the item whilst is needed. You will be required to complete a loan form to help us keep track of our items, and so you are aware of any costs associated with damage or loss to the item.
NDIS Planning Meetings
You are welcome to invite your therapist to attend your NDIS planning meeting to help explain and advocate for the services that you would like for your child. In preparation for your meeting, ask your therapist to provide a quote for services to help communicate what you would like included in your plan.
Calm and Connected have an Incident Management System in place in line with the NDIS (Incident and Management and Reportable Incidents) Rules 2018. If an incident occurs the family will be notified and involved in the investigation and determining outcomes. If you wish to learn more about this policy and its process please contact our director, Kate Keisler, to discuss.
We highly value receiving feedback and welcome any input on how to improve our service. We encourage you to speak directly with your therapist to provide any compliments or criticism, or be in touch with the Director, Kate Keisler with the contact details provided below. Otherwise we have a Customer Feedback Form on our website.
Calendar of Events
Click here for a comprehensive list of events we are running this year.
Once a family has engaged in services with Calm and Connected, their email will automatically be added to the Calm and Connected email list to receive newsletters and updates. If you no longer wish to receive emails from Calm and Connected there are options to unsubscribe at the bottom of newsletters, or please email or phone Calm and Connected to ask to be removed from this list.
Main office details:
19B Erade Drive Piara Waters