It is a program run during the school term in collaboration with Rugby WA Clubs. Each groups is supported by an Occupational Therapist, Rugby Coach and helpers. The following age groups are available:
- 4-7 year olds (Juniors)
- 8-11 year olds (Intermediates)
- 17+ year olds are able to join the All Abilities team at Southern Lions
Sense Rugby was founded in October 2015 by Paediatric Occupational Therapist, Carlien Parahi and Australian Rugby Sevens Olympian, Jesse Parahi.
Sense Rugby is a rugby based Occupational Therapy program designed to help kids who usually find it difficult to be part of a sports team. There are many reasons why kids may struggle to find success and enjoyment in sport. We are here to help you get to the bottom of it and send them on their way to success. Most of the kids we work with live with some of the following developmental delays and conditions:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Down Syndrome
- Sensory Processing dfficulties
- Emotional Regulation difficulties
- Behavioural difficulties
- Gross motor delays
- Fine motor delays
- Learning difficulties
- Resistance, avoidance or an issue with confidence when it comes to sport
- Differences in social skills
Some of the goals families have when they join a Sense Rugby program include for their kids to:
- Have fun!
- Develop their confidence and self-esteem
- Find a regular activity that can be their own
- Learn a new skill that gives them a great community to belong to for life
- Find a way to get the movement they seek in an appropriate environment
- Make friends
- Learn how to follow instructions, wait their turn and be part of a group
- Learn how to manage their emotions
- Improve their ability to self-regulate
- ..and many more!
Sense Rugby has a few key values that help us help kids. We always have an experienced Paediatric Occupational Therapist that works with trained rugby players to help the kids to achieve success. We utilise a child’s strengths and their motivation to help them to participate and we focus on creating a positive successful social experience first and foremost.
Term 1, 2023
Sign up for term 2, 2023 now.
Volunteers play a huge role in helping run Sense Rugby. Volunteers can be high school students (can count towards volunteer hours for school), OT Students, Exercise Science Students, or anyone who has some knowledge of rugby and has an interest in supporting kids.
What’s involved in being a volunteer? You can;
– Be a role model: Show kids how to do the movement by participating in the session
– Give children feedback: Tell them what they are good at (confidence boosts are always welcome!). Tell the kids how they did in the activity and specific ways they can improve
– Join in: Show the kids how to be sociable, make friends and what it is like to be part of a team
– Hold equipment: During drills hold a tackle bag or be a throwing partner for the kids
Becoming a volunteer is easy! All you need is a current Working with Children Clearance and Police Clearance. We will provide you with a Volunteer Welcome Pack with all the important information and safety video.
If you’re interested in becoming a volunteer, just click here.
We are registered to accept the following funding, please keep reading below for more details on each:
- NDIS registered provider
- Private Health Rebates
$50 per hour session
We collect all payments outside of therapy sessions to allow Therapists to focus on your child and family. Therefore we require all families to complete a direct debit form when they sign up. You will be charged for the whole term upfront.
$50 per hour session
Families are required to complete a Service Agreement with Calm and Connected, prior to services starting. A ‘Service Agreement’ outlines any camps, sessions and administration that will be included as part of the service delivery. This allows families and therapists to have a clear understanding of what will be provided. (The higher amount is due to the additional amount of paperwork required by NDIS)
Private Health Rebates
Depending on your provider and level of cover, you many be eligible for private health rebates for Occupational Therapy Group Sessions. Please give your provider a call to see how much you will get back on each session. At the end of term you will be given a receipt for all the sessions that your child attended which you can use to claim back.
Therapy and Group Sessions
If you are not able to attend your scheduled appointment, please contact us as soon as you know. If you give less then 48 hour’s (2 business days) notice before the appointment then you will be charged an administration fee of 100% to cover the payment for the time your Therapist allocated to your session.
Know a business that might be keen to sponsor a team? Then ask them to get in touch with us! We are looking for sponsors to help subsidise the cost of sessions for our kids. For more details please give us a call on 0430 645 086 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org