Category: Stories from families
Muesli Bar Recipe
I was very lucky to sample this sugar free Muesli bar recipe at a visit earlier this year. One of the families I am working was trialling a sugar and additive free diet with her son to help with his concentration at school. I am always on the look out for healthy snacks that I can eat when on the road visiting clients, and I was pleasantly surprised how easy this one was to make! Baking/cooking is definitely not one of my strengths (I once accidentally made friend rice with vanilla essence instead of soy sauce). So this recipe gets the pass, even with my abilities. Thanks so much for sharing this with us Monica 🙂
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 100g butter
- 100g organs rice malt syrup
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dates
- 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs (optional)
- Toast the oats, coconut, chia and sunflower seeds in a dry pan (this step is optional, though intensifies the flavour). Stir for a few minutes, careful not to burn.
- Put toasted ingredients into food processor with cranberries and dates. Process until fine, if prefer chunky/crunchier then don’t blend for too long.
- In a pan (same one as last time is fine), add butter, rice malt syrup and cinnamon. Melt over low heat until you have a bubbling roll.
- Add dry mixture and cocao nibs to melted ingredients and stir through. Smooth mixture into lined tin and put in freezer.
- Once set cut into pieces and leave in freezer. If packing in lunches, use an ice pack to keep cool.
Enjoy and thanks again Monica!